For Remote Installation Customers
These are instructions on how to install the home gateway device after receiving it. This is primarily for individuals who do not require physical fiber-optic line installation at their residence and the installation is done remotely by NTT. These customers will receive the device ahead of the remote installation date.
In order for the remote installation to be completed, the home gateway device needs to be connected to the fiber-optic (光-hikari) port or VDSL port and turned on. The installation will be automatic and done remotely on the installation date. All you have to do is make sure everything is plugged in like the setup below and the home gateway device is turned on.
※ Depending on the home gateway device you receive, you may need to install an additional component (wireless card) into the home gateway device. Please scroll further down for information on how to install this part into the home gateway device.
The rental home gateway device, other devices, and included accessories will need to be returned to NTT after your contract is terminated. Please note that if any are lost, damaged, or are not returned, there will be a fee incurred.
Depending on the devices delivered to the residence and connection type, the installation will differ. Please refer to the following patterns to determine the installation method for you.
Fiber-optic (光) Installation
Pattern A - Only the home gateway device
Pattern B - Home Gateway Device and Wireless Card
Pattern C - Home Gateway Device and ONU (Modem)
Home Gateway Device and VDSL Modem
Pattern A - Fiber-optic with only Home Gateway Device
When you receive the item, please open it and connect the following two points.
1. Power (It turns on automatically when plugged in.)
2. Optical fiber (Connect the white cable to the optical outlet and the device that arrived.)
Please install it while referring to the images below.
If the white cable breaks, the connection will become unusable, so please do not bend it forcibly.
Pattern B - Fiber-optic with Home Gateway Device and Wireless Card
Steps to enable wireless internet access for your home gateway device
(For individuals with the below wireless card
These are additional instructions for individuals who received a wireless card device similar to the one pictured below. This device is necessary to enable full wireless capabilities for your home gateway. Please follow the directions below carefully to install this card.
※Please do not force the card into the home gateway device. You may damage the card and/or home gateway device.
1) There should be a separate part that was delivered with your home gateway device.
The device is the same as the one in the picture below. Please check what came with the home gateway device and find this part.
2) Please insert this card into the home gateway device with the lights of the card facing the same direction as the lights on the home gateway device. (Lights should be facing to the left.)
Please make sure that the card can go in properly. If the card is inserted incorrectly, the device and/or card may be damaged.
3) Once the card is inserted, the two lights should turn on. (Pwr and Act)
This could take a few minutes to turn on. Please wait for a few minutes. The lights will flicker on and off during normal internet usage.
4) Once you have confirmed that the lights have turned on, you will now see the networks show up on your computer.
Pattern C - Fiber-optic with Home Gateway Device and ONU (Modem)
For VDSL Installations
Home Gateway Device and VDSL Modem
The devices and parts that you should receive are the following.
1) RX-600KI/RX-600MI/RS-500MI/RS-500KI/etc. - Home gateway device
2) VDSL modem - This connects to the wall port and then a LAN cable will connect this to the home gateway device
3) Wireless card - The RX-600KI requires a wireless card similar to the one below for full wireless access.
We apologize for our instructions not including the additional box. We are currently revising our FAQ to include instructions for these installations.
While we are editing our FAQ, please follow the following instructions to install the other device and this one.
Connecting the VDSL modem (The other device not in your picture)
1) Please connect the thinner cable (looks like a telephone cable) from the wall port (modular jack) directly to the back of the VDSL modem in the LINE port.
DO NOT use the following part
2) Please connect the LAN cable (thicker cable) to the LAN port of the VDSL modem
Connecting the VDSL modem to the home gateway device
3) Connect the LAN cable you just plugged into the LAN port of the VDSL modem into the WAN port of the home gateway device.
4) Plugging in the wireless card
Once you receive the wireless card, please insert the card like the picture below. Make sure that the card is plugged in firmly and the lights turn on. The lights will take a while to turn on. The ACT will blink while the PWR light will stay on. This is normal.
Connecting to the home gateway device
After completing the above installation instructions. you can then connect to the home gateway device using the wireless networks (SSID) or physically using a LAN cable (Cat 6 or higher) connected to the back of the home gateway device to the laptop.